Who does not love to watch pigeons play in the garden? But when these pigeons start making home in your window, ac, terrace, or garden then it becomes a menace. Moreover, their droppings are not just bad for the aesthetic beauty of your home/office but can also be dangerous for humans and other animals. Thankfully there are various simple humane methods to get rid of pigeons without harming them.
Before you opt any of the following pigeon removal methods, you must check the local and national laws of your area regarding the protection status of pigeons and which methods you are legally allowed to use to control them. With complete knowledge, you can choose any of the following methods:
– First of all seal the space above the rafters. This is a common place for pigeons to roost and make their nest. Also seal the gapes in the siding of your building or between the roof shingles. You can use silicone caulk, plastic bird netting, or hardware cloth. It is also advisable to trim tree branches growing close to the roof to avoid access to the attic.
– Chimneys are usually a favourite place for pigeons as they love roosting in chimneys. Use stainless steel mesh caps. This will allow the smoke to escape but will not allow the animals to enter. Make sure not to trap any pigeons while you cap the area.
– Using mesh to prevent pigeons is one of the best options and the most humane one as well. Cover those areas with mesh where pigeons usually perch. For instance, pigeons find it easy to lay eggs and roost under air conditioning units.
– You can also hire professionals to get rid of pigeons and ensure that don’t re-enter. They use a one-way door to do so. If there is some mess created by pigeons, like droppings, then also you can take professional help. Professional pest controllers have proper equipment to thoroughly clean the area.
– Tie a weatherproof string in popular roosting area just 1 inch above the perching spot. The pigeons will not be able to balance themselves and roosting will become impossible.
– Install sloped sheaths made of PVC, plywood, or metal to provide a slippery surface to the pigeons. Place these sheaths on window sills, eaves, and ledges so that it becomes difficult for the pigeons to roost.
– Spike strips can be easily bought from a garden centre or a hardware store. Read the manufacturer’s instructions and install the strips on the popular roosting areas.
– Don’t feed the pigeons no matter how tempting it gets. Birds have a sharp memory and they will come back again and again for food.
– Do not provide food items to pigeons. This means you need to get rid of grass seeds and berries falling from olive trees or other bushes. Also don’t leave cat food or dog food outside as this might become a reason for the pigeons to return.
– You can buy “scare-pigeons” – a type of decoy to scare off the pigeons. These are lightweight that are available in the form of hawk silhouettes. You can place one where pigeons usually sit. However, keep changing its position otherwise the pigeons will get used to its mute & inactive presence.
– Make use of the garden hose and spray water directly on the birds when they arrive for the first time. This will make them look for another place to roost.
– Reflective surface helps in creating a prism effect when the sun rays hit it. This impairs the eyesight of the birds. You can use old CDs, reflective tape, or foil balloons to do the job.
– At any cost, do not hurt the pigeons. They are living creatures and they also have the right to survive just like humans.
– Polybutylene gel is dangerous for pigeons and other birds. This sticky repellent can damage the feathers of birds and unable them to fly. Smaller birds can even die by sticking to this gel.
– These devices are harmful for all kinds of birds and even dogs and cats. So avoid using such a device.
If you are unable to remove pigeons on your own then you can take help from the professional pest controllers. We are here to help you with all kinds of pest control solutions at an affordable price. Call us for professional pigeon removal services!